Search Our Recipes & Nutrition Information

Crockpot Pumpkin Custard

Fall is in the air...well in most parts of the country. Here in Texas it's as hot as ever! But I'm hoping to push autumn along by filling my house with the smells of Thanskgiving desserts! (Ok, maybe it doesn't speed fall up, but this recipe makes me feel at "home" in Wisconsin.)  This Crockpot Pumpkin Custard is amazing and is one of the least-fuss custards I have made.  In the words of ole' Ron Popeil, just "Set it & forget it!"



Crockpot Pumpkin Custard

3c cooked pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
6 eggs
1/4c coconut milk, full fat*
1/4c maple syrup or honey
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

Fill your crock pot with 1" water and turn on high. Allow to pre-heat for 30-45 minutes.  In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix on medium-high until everything is very well combined.  Pour into oven proof ramekins, filling them 2/3 full.  Gently set the ramekins into the water, staking the ramekins odd/even if needed to fit into the crockpot.  Cover and allow to steam for 4-6 hours.

Remove from crockpot when set. Serve warm or chilled. May refrigerate up to 3 days.

*I have not tried this recipe with almond milk yet. If you do, let me know how it turns out.


6 comments:

  1. How do you cook the pumpkin? Bake it? Boil it? How would you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soshana! Thanks for your question!

    When in a rush I use organic canned pumpkin with no added sugar. If I have the whole day, I roast my pumpkins in the oven. You can -

    Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
    Wash the exterior of your pumpkin, cut it in half and scrape out all of the slimy dangly insides and seeds. Lay the pumpkin, cut side down, on a baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes (depending on the size of your pumpkin). Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a while until it has cooled, but still slightly warm. Begin scooping the flesh out of the pumpkin into a food processor. Puree the pumpkin until smooth! DONE!

    I roast a couple pumpkins at a time and then freeze the puree in Ziploc bags and some in mason jars. It freezes and thaws very easily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this would work with egg replacer?? cant have eggs :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy! I'm going to try it. Crock pot cooking is one of my favorite ways to cook. I don't have any of the little dishes, I wonder how it would work with one bigger dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as the larger dish is shallow, you'll be fine. Filling a larger dish close to the brim would cause the exterior sides to dry out before the center was done cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this recipe does work with egg replacer. Just check the side of your egg replacement carton for egg ratios and measurements! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation! Jess will be replying soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...